RCA Australia completed all geotechnical investigation and design for the proposed shared pathway at Red Bluff, Eleebana on behalf of Lake Macquarie City Council. The pathway was opened in April 2010.
The new pathway is 450m long and was required to connect separate sections of existing pathway around Red Bluff. Approximately 380m of the pathway is over water and the investigation required over water as well as on land investigations.
The geotechnical investigation included the following:
- Developing a methodology for drilling over protected seagrass and obtaining Fisheries’ approval.
- Undertaking 10 bores (3 on land and 7 over water).
- Assessing acid sulfate potential.
- Recommending a preferred foundation system for the over water portion of the pathway.
- Undertaking work in a sensitive environment.