RCA has undertaken geotechnical investigation studies for the Roads and Traffic Authority (now Roads and Maritime Services) for the proposed upgrade of six intersections along Newcastle Road comprising intersections at Lambton, Jesmond, Wallsend and Cameron Park.
The investigations involved:
- visual appraisal and mapping of existing pavement condition;
- a total of 5.7km of Benkelman beam deflection testing;
- coring of 85 boreholes through existing pavement;
- excavation of 60 test pits;
- drilling of three cored boreholes;
- dynamic penetrometer testing;
- laboratory testing to provide parameters for input into design.
Specialised non-destructive potholing equipment was also used to provide accurate location of services for input into design for the proposed upgrade works. Owing to restrictions associated with closing lanes on Newcastle Road the majority of the investigation work was required to be undertaken at night.